“Remember that repetition is the key,
even with things the teacher tells you!”
— Judi Messina
Judi Messina leading SING, SING, SING, a group of 56 people all ages and various experience with singing as they did the song THIS IS ME in October 29, 2018.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, 1982:
- Includes music, theatre, radio, TV, speech, accompanying, arranging, performing
- Extensive musical theatre experience:
Orchestra Pit Piano Player
ComedySportz Houston, 20 years
- Stress relief
- Not impossible to learn at an older age!
- Find a good match in a piano teacher
- Teacher should be passionate/excited about teaching
- Tell the teacher your goals, and keep her/him informed year by year
- Remember that repetition is the key, even w/ things the teacher tells you!
- Make time to practice. Every day is best, 10-30 min.
- Teachers will show you shortcuts and pitfalls
- As a hobby, perfection is not the goal
- Online instruction from videos can make you feel stupid
- It’s never too late
- No recitals for adults — no pressure!
- Learn how to relax at the piano
- Learn why the pros make it look so easy
- Understand the diff between how adults learn and how kids learn
- Self-defeating psychology
- Learning how to listen
- How to practice
- Avoiding carpal tunnel syndrome
HOW TO SUCCEED WITH ADULT PIANO LESSONS
IF ANYONE TELLS YOU IT'S EASY, THEY ARE LYING TO YOU. I WILL BE HONEST AND ENCOURAGE YOU EVERY STEP OF THE WAY. GIVE YOURSELF TWO SOLID YEARS OF WEEKLY LESSONS TO FEEL LIKE A PIANO PLAYER.
DON'T GIVE UP
- Great note-reading method
- Simplified rhythm-reading method
- Piano or keyboard method
- Visual/Auditory/Kinesthetic combo
- Author of “Piano Freedom,” a practical course for playing pop music, with insights into composition,
improvisation, and classical music
- How to buy a piano
- How to buy a keyboard
- How to take care of a piano
- When to trade up
Avoid carpal tunnel
Sit at proper height and distance from piano
- Performance tips
- Practice being nervous
- Musical terms
- Review, review, review!
- Building a repertoire