“Remember that repetition is the key,
even with things the teacher tells you!”
— Judi Messina
Judi Messina leading SING, SING, SING, a group of 56 people all ages and various experience with singing as they did the song THIS IS ME in October 29, 2018.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, 1982:
- Includes music, theatre, radio, TV, speech, accompanying, arranging, performing
- Extensive musical theatre experience:
Orchestra Pit Piano Player
ComedySportz Houston, 20 years
- Stress relief
- Not impossible to learn at an older age!
- Find a good match in a piano teacher
- Teacher should be passionate/excited about teaching
- Tell the teacher your goals, and keep her/him informed year by year
- Remember that repetition is the key, even w/ things the teacher tells you!
- Make time to practice. Every day is best, 10-30 min.
- Teachers will show you shortcuts and pitfalls
- As a hobby, perfection is not the goal
- Online instruction from videos can make you feel stupid
- It’s never too late
- No recitals for adults — no pressure!
- Learn how to relax at the piano
- Learn why the pros make it look so easy
- Understand the diff between how adults learn and how kids learn
- Self-defeating psychology
- Learning how to listen
- How to practice
- Avoiding carpal tunnel syndrome
HOW TO SUCCEED WITH ADULT PIANO LESSONS
LOVE IS LIKE LEARNING TO PLAY THE PIANO. FIRST YOU MUST LEARN TO PLAY BY THE RULES, THEN YOU MUST LEARN TO PLAY FROM YOUR HEART.
IF ANYONE TELLS YOU IT'S EASY, THEY ARE LYING TO YOU. I WILL BE HONEST AND ENCOURAGE YOU EVERY STEP OF THE WAY. GIVE YOURSELF TWO SOLID YEARS OF WEEKLY LESSONS TO FEEL LIKE A PIANO PLAYER.
DON'T GIVE UP
Leading Sing, Sing, Sing
- Great note-reading method
- Simplified rhythm-reading method
- Piano or keyboard method
- Visual/Auditory/Kinesthetic combo
- Author of “Piano Freedom,” a practical course for playing pop music, with insights into composition,
improvisation, and classical music
- How to buy a piano
- How to buy a keyboard
- How to take care of a piano
- When to trade up
Avoid carpal tunnel
Sit at proper height and distance from piano
- Performance tips
- Practice being nervous
- Musical terms
- Review, review, review!
- Building a repertoire